We work together, We love eachother. We be bad never, As a team forever. To infinity and beyond!!!

We work together, We love eachother. We be bad never, As a team forever. To infinity and beyond!!!

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Gardening 101

Okay, so one week ago we...no I decided we were going to do a garden. I bought a kiddie pool on clearance last year for this purpose. I didn't want to make an actual garden bed just to find out I can't grow anything.

Our Cost
**The dirt
Peet moss 18.99
Organic comost 4.99
Bio flora 7.99
Steer manure 4.99
a little Dirt from yard

**Plants/seeds
Tomato plant 3.99
Carrots 1.69
Parsley 1.79
Basil 1.79
Zucchini 1.69
Yellow Squash 1.69
Pepper 1.59

The excitment and pride on the kids face when they see something they've planted grow...
$$Priceless
Day 1 Last Saturday

This picture should actually be of me and the kids, Donovan spent the day fixing breaks on the van. But who needs the credit... :)
Day 5 Thursday

We have Basil!!!
Friday, Day 6
Everday we put one laddle of water on each little seed(popsicle sticks), and more on the tomato plant.
Saturday, day 7

and Yellow Squash!!!
Sunday, day 8

and Zucchinni!!!

This has been one of the most fun family adventures. I LOVE watching the kids get excited over their hard work, and I feel kind of proud myself. I've always wanted to do a small garden and it was so easy and fun I shouldn't have waited.

9 comments:

ltandjbcox said...

Hurrah for gardening!! With all of your helpers you are fortunate. Remember, if you have more than one seed germinate, to take little scissors and clip off the extra ones. I will be seeing it in person soon.
Also, I did check the book and it stated that you use from 1 to 3 ladles of water per plant, depending on its size.

Unknown said...

Cute little garden!! That is so exciting. I am all about raised beds! So much better than weeding all the time.

Gardening with kids is a great way to teach them about plant structures and how they need them to survive...it's also a great way to work math into their daily lives as they can measure the growth of the plant, how many days it took them to sprout! The possibilities are endless!

Anonymous said...

Oh that just looks so fun! That is awesome, and the kids being excited is just awesome. :) What a fun mom you are!

Tommy and Jill said...

looks good. I am excited for your trip to Chicago - I love that city. You will have to let me know how it goes.

The Gwynns said...

Good job katie head! Keep up the good work, I hope they will do fine when we are in Chicago!! (yeah baby!) Love ya!

Mary Ann said...

way to go!! that is the coolest idea! it's so smart to teach your kids how to work.. and exciting to watch the garden grow. so cute!

THE POTTLES said...

Hey Katie I love your blog! We have one too you should check it out. Your kids are so cute.

CHRISTINE said...

We tried to do the garden thing...no luck. Looks like you know what you're doing! Jared's family always had a garden growing up...it's a good thing for the kids!

Sarah Pace said...

Oh mY Goodness Katie how are you? Its your old roomey! What cute kiddos you have! I'm so happy i found you! I was just thinking about you not that long ago and wondering how you were doing! You have a cute little family! I look foward to keeping in touch!