We work together, We love eachother. We be bad never, As a team forever. To infinity and beyond!!!

We work together, We love eachother. We be bad never, As a team forever. To infinity and beyond!!!

Sunday, January 11, 2009

The Triumphant Return of My Man Card: 5 Years in the Making! Written by Donovan

Disclaimer: For those of you who are easily confused with the terms K&N intakes, glocks, or ice-ing the kicker, this post may require the assistance of someone who carries a y-chrome.

When we moved to Arizona from Hawaii after I had graduated from college, KT (who had spent some time in sales as a telemarketer and was actually pretty successful at selling windshields to complete strangers over the phone ) sold me on the idea of buying a Minivan. We had saved a little money during college and decided to pay cash for a used minivan once we arrived in AZ.

After a year, we realized that we needed another car so that KT could get around during the day and didn't have to be confined to our apartment. At this point KT had really fallen in love with the Honda Odyssey and suggested that we should buy a newer one for her to drive and we could trade in our old minivan for a car for me. Well, as it turned out we found another Honda Odyssey that was newer and had the features we were looking for in a family car however, we decided to just hang on to my van (probably because it was paid for and still running and thought why don't we just be content with what we have).

So yes! We did drive two minivans, both Honda Odysseys for a time... there is a season in everyone's life for certain things... and this happened to be that time for us. Let's just say I am glad we have moved on from that and have found a better place.

Fast forward to January 6, 2009. My minivan, now 15 years old, had been in and out of the shop a handful of times within the last 9 months; each time requiring a pretty significant drop of cash; something we didn't want to do for an aging minivan. As I was driving home from work, it cuts out and I end up rolling it into the BevMo parking lot by my house. After numerous attempts, the van would not start. It was at this point that I literally threw in the towel - there was actually a towel in the van that I had used to wipe up the leaking oil and coolant. I called KT to come pick me up and she tells me, "Can you just walk home?" I know what you all are thinking... total shocker coming from KT, right??! Anyways, I leave the van behind and with it whatever amount of pride I had left after 5 years of driving the soccer moms' dream car! The next day I take off from work and, after running some errands, went looking for my man card!

The good news is my man card comes with a Hemi, is off-road ready (4x4) and is fully piped and chipped (you'll have to ask your hubby what all these terms mean e.g. Hemi, piped, glock, etc. ). The bad news is that my minivan is still sitting at BevMo until it gets towed. But hey, I have a truck-truck now so I can tow that anytime I want.

So it's been has been fun going from one end of the spectrum to the other (minivan to truck)! I will say that I never had to worry about locking the doors to my minivan - I mean no one would steal it; even if they were desperate.


So here's to the last 5 years of having my man card checked and getting it back! Here's to V8s and sawzalls. Here's to Zyobi cordlesses and ---Oh wait --- KT's calling me to come do the dishes. "I'll be right there, Honey!" I better go before she realizes that I posted this on her blog! C-ya!



Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

"Love or Perish" - W. H. Auden said...

LOL! DONOVAN TOO FUNNY! CONGRATS ON THE NEW TRUCK....AND THE RETURN (OR NOT) OF YOUR MAN CARD! PS: I'VE WANTED A MINIVAN FOR SO LONG, BUT BO WILL NEVER, I MEAN NEVER, GET ONE IN GOOD CONSCIENCE. WHATEVER.

Toni said...

Congrats Donovan! You may now come to Fight Night.

Heather K said...

YEAH FOR DONOVAN! Zach would be so Jealous! We want a truck someday too! It is a good lookin' truck truck!

Team Seguritan said...

Donovan is so funny! I woke up to this blog, meaning I WAS NOT calling him to do dishes. I was probably snoring away upstairs. But I just want to say for the record that I LOVE THIS TRUCK! It is so fun to ride/drive(could be the hick in me) and it was a good deal. May I also say that Donovan was looking at those scion shoe-box-looking-things...I'm glad he went with the truck or his "Man Card" post may have been another 10 years in waiting :)

Team Seguritan said...

Oh, and we live like .1 miles from BevMo, so he did not have to walk far. He was home in less than 3 minutes.

THE CAVEY CLAN said...

LOL, Your hubby is HILARIOUS!! That was such a fun post to read. Glad he got his "Man-card" back:0)!

ltandjbcox said...

Nice looking truck, D. We are happy for you. Could you bring us up a "Load" of citrus next time up? Don't try to tell me you haven't got room. . . .too late for that one.

Becky Montoya Wright said...

you know what they say about a man who drives a big truck? if you don't know what that means, ask your wifey...

Funny stuff! Enjoy!!

Kelly Merrell said...

Hey KT, your husband is funny. Speaking of him, after seeing your beautiful Christmas pictures, I asked my Dave why could he not have been from Hawaii, is that too much to ask? I mean really. I really want to take him there some day.

The Gwynns said...

Donovan,

I like the truck, it's a pretty blue... (by pretty I mean manly) and it has a cute symbol of an animal on it (you know the thing with horns?). :)

Anyways, you are quite the kick in the pants (you may need to ask your wife what that means).

Love you guys!

Familia Eldredge said...

I got emotional reading this...
It's a guy thing.

Ryan said...

Donovan... soon I too shall join the ranks of regaining a man card... after a fluffy white dog and driving a grandma car (litterally, I bought it from my mom)I am looking to upgrad to manhood! Thank you for the inspiration!

Kavahei said...

Hey Katie! It's me Christine! I started my own blog if you want to come and check it out sometime @ www.kavahei.blogspot.com :) Anyway, love the new truck! I am a big fan of the color blue! :)

Anonymous said...

testing somethign out.

Nilda Noel said...

That is awesome! Way to post that funny blog without her knowing. Every man should have a truck.